Friday 18 June 2010

Tags, good for electronic searching, not so good for browsing on the shelf.

I have looked at my tags and really if you know what the "Things" involve my tags are sufficient. My postings are not very interesting so far, so I can't think of good tags for them. I looked at some other 23 Things blogs and found that these bloggers mostly used the same tages. I did not read the whole article about classifications, but I can see the point of tags. The whole idea of search engines is to put good "tags" in your webpages, so that people find your information. Of course this is misused by websites that want to sell you things. A lot of our students still browse the shelves, so good classification is useful. There is a point that classification schemes need to be adjusted to the need of your library to get the best use out of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment